Fourteen Area Officers are chosen, every second year, to serve 2-year terms on the General Service Committee (GSC). Seven of these are elected, in even numbered years, at the October Assembly of the full Area 79 Committee. Seven are appointed by the Area Chair, following the elections, to sit as chairs of designated area Standing Committees.
The Elected Officers are listed below, with a brief summary of their roles:
- Delegate – Reports to and from the General Service Conference.
- Alternate Delegate – Assists Delegate in responsibilities. The Alternate Delegate also sits as the Literature Chair.
- Chair of Area 79 – Responsible for the agenda and chairing Area and General Service Committee (GSC) meetings, assigns travel of committee members.
- Alternate Chair – Assists Chair in responsibilities. The Alternate Chair also sits as Grapevine Chair.
- Treasurer – Maintains payables and receivables for Area 79. Chairs Finance Committee.
- Secretary – Records meetings and prepares the minutes.
- Registrar – Maintains Group Records of Districts and Groups in Area 79 and informs the General Service Office (GSO) in New York.