Twelve Standing Committees report to the Area 79 Committee. The committee structure roughly parallels the structure used at the General Service Conference (our North American annual meeting), and provides an effective means of discussion and communication. The Standing Committees meet at Area Quarterlies and Assemblies. Each one has four to five District Committee Members (DCMs) assigned to it and is chaired by a member of the General Service Committee (GSC).
- Accessibilities – Explore, develop and offer resources to make the Alcoholics Anonymous message available to everyone.
- Archives – Collect, classify and care for literary works and artifacts.
- Cooperation with the Professional Community (CPC) – Establish and maintain better communication between A.A.s and community professionals
- Corrections – Carry the AA message to alcoholics in correctional systems
- Finance – Discusses Area 79 self-support and the Seventh Tradition.
- Grapevine – Develop awareness of the many benefits that can be derived through the Grapevine and La Viña (Spanish version) subscriptions
- Grassroots – Oversees the production and distribution of Grassroots Forum, the BC/Yukon Area 79 Newsletter.
- Literature – Promote Conference-approved literature, audiovisual material and other special items.
- Public Information – Communicates to the public what AA does and does not do.
- Remote Connections – To foster unity within the fellowship of Area 79 by creating awareness and assisting those who are unable to make it to regular face-to-face meetings on a consistent basis
- Treatment/Bridging the Gap – Treatment facilities committees are formed to coordinate the work of individual A.A. members and groups who are interested in carrying our message of recovery to alcoholics in treatment facilities, and to set up means of “Bridging the Gap” from the facility to an A.A. group in the individual’s community.
- Website – Creates awareness about and assists those who are unable to make it to regular face-to-face meetings on a consistent basis
Information on the committees and their current activities, as well as contact information and a job description for the committee Chair, is available on each committee’s webpage. For more information, contact the committee chairperson.